TIPS FOR SAFE DRIVING
Driving safely in the CLEM7 is easy. Here is some advice to ensure a comfortable and safe journey for all drivers.
- Maintain your speed above 60kph unless otherwise signed
- Ensure your radio is on, and listen for any announcements
- Switch on your headlights
- Avoid unnecessary lane changing or overtaking
- Always follow the variable speed and message signs
- Avoid wearing non-prescription sunglasses
- Keep a safe distance from the car in front (at least a two-second gap).
If your vehicle breaks down
- Pull over to the side of the lane and switch on your hazard lights and radio
- Stay calm - an incident response vehicle will be dispatched to assist you as quickly as possible
- Remain in your vehicle unless you are otherwise instructed
- If you do have to get out of your vehicle, watch carefully for other traffic and move to either the walkway or in front of your vehicle. Never stand behind your vehicle.
If you are stopped in tunnel traffic
- Stay in your vehicle and switch on your radio
- Look for instructions displayed on overhead signs
- Switch your air conditioning to re-circulate
- If you are completely stopped for a while, turn off your engine BUT leave your radio on
- If you need urgent assistance, use the nearest emergency telephone to contact the tunnel operators
If there is a traffic incident or emergency in the tunnel please follow the variable message signs and instructions from the tunnel operators. In an evacuation, look for the running man symbols and flashing lights that identify a safe exit point
ALWAYS REMEMBER TO LISTEN TO THE RADIO, TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS AND STAY IN YOUR LANE